Yeo Guat Kwang still in the running
1. Mr and Mrs Yeo like to start their day on a well fed stomach. Prawn noodles for breakfast anyone?
3. Attempts to take artistic pictures like PM Lee. Can you guess which belongs to who?
4. Yeo Guat Kwang Called for flexibility in allowing foreign workers to change employers. A Change of Employers policy is also in line with the Migrant Worker Center’s call to improve the quality of foreign workers.
5. He is also an advocate for animal welfare – In 2013, Yeo pushed for 24 recommendations on behalf of the Animal Welfare Legislation Review Committee (AWLRC) to ensure reasonable care and welfare of animals; to increase deterrence and stepping up action against wrongdoers; to foster greater responsibility in industry; and to foster greater responsibility among pet owners and greater community awareness.
6. Yeo Guat Kwang is a proud dad whose son had recently graduated from the prestigious Le Cordon Bleu
7. Yeo Guat Kwang created a “Hearty-meal” for his residents after hearing feedback from needy residents who live alone and do not cook. Selected needy residents were provided with “Hearty Meals” food coupons. With the coupons, they will only need to pay $1 for a meal that is worth $3 at any of the 10 appointed foodstalls. The other $2 dollars are subsidized by the Welfare Committee and the respective stall holders.Eh, why my Jurongarea no have ah?
8. To Yeo Guat Kwang, age seems to be just a number and taking the stairs is a healthier option.. Obviously.
9. Yeo, in parliament, called for Ministry Of Manpower to establish a tripartite WSH resource centre to help the respective sectors to upgrade their risk assessments and manage their capabilities.
10. Has the potential to second skill in pet grooming.
11. The guy sure loves taking selfies.
12. Yeo Guat Kwang created a Work-Care Agent Scheme with the help of “workfare aunties”, a group of back-to-work mothers who help the unemployed find jobs through counselling and upgrading courses.
13. He set up an uber hip and cool Community Center (Ci Yuan CC) which encourages young F&B entrepreneurs to set up their own stalls at the hawker center situated within the Community Club and are the very first to implement a self-payment kiosk!
14. And no, he is not related to the founder of Yeo’s beverage.
15. Yeo recently pushed for The Animal and Birds (Amendment) Bill in Nov 2014, which aims to strengthen animal welfare legislation in Singapore. Mr Yeo said “there is a need to strengthen the legislation as society becomes increasingly aware and concerned about animal welfare issues. The number of animal welfare cases has been rising, with a total of over 1,000 cases received annually.”
16. He ends his day with a walkabout at his constituency late at night…
17. Yeo Guat Kwang appears to have a group of highly dedicated grassroots volunteers. Kampong spirit FTW!
18. Yeo called for an enhancement for portable medical benefits on grounds that “A flexible and comprehensive portable medical scheme is a good form of security for our workers, particularly with the drive towards longer employment and the implementation of the Reemployment Act.”
19. He is also a staunch Buddhist.
20. He sure knows how to treat his missus right even after being married to her for more than 2 decades. Though it’s not Waku Ghin at Marina Bay Sands, but A for effort yah?
21. Yeo Guat Kwang is also pretty innovative. Yeo launched the “MediWheels” programme, where wheelchair bound residents are able to rent a motorized scooter for $10 a month to move around his Hougangneighbourhood with ease!
22. The man also lobbied for the Lemon Law to be introduced in Singapore.
23. Yeo spoke in parliament asking the government to help SMEs re-model and accept “future proofing” and also urged SMEs to do so using government schemes, incentives and grants to be SMEs of tomorrow.
24. He sure has friends in all the right places.
25. Yeo Guat Kwang must have a favourite store he frequently shops at. Pattern all the same.